What are the secrets to a fulfilling retirement?
The Oxford dictionary definition of the verb ‘retire’ is ‘to leave office or employment, especially because of age’. This doesn’t say very much about what retirement actually means for anyone today.
Research has found that the following are the key factors:
- Having a positive attitude
- Being purposefully active
- Giving back – volunteering
- Learning and growing
- Connectedness – having emotionally supportive relationships
- Having a shared* retirement plan with your partner which covers both financial and lifestyle aspects
- Proactively maintaining both physical and psychological health
- Having a secure, safe and comfortable place to stay
- Receiving both financial and non-financial pre-retirement advice
- Having fun
*Sharing your plan with your spouse or partner is fundamental for a fulfilling retirement and we will keep reminding you about this. Retirement is one of the biggest changes in our lives and like any other change such as moving job or house, it needs to be planned. This guide looks at the major challenges and pitfalls of retirement, provides guidelines for compiling your shared retirement plan and introduces ideas to help you achieve the kind of Rewirement you want.
This excerpt was taken from Rewire Don’t Retire, sponsored by Irish Life and Active Retirement Ireland. You can download the full guide HERE.